Adobe: Should I stay or should I go?

Standard

I’ve been an Adobe customer for ages. Owning the Creative Suite, Individual apps, etc. I remember actually owning Lightroom early on. It’s great software, and instead of having that large price tag a monthly fee – little easier to digest, apps are updated, and it works. It’s Adobe.

However in recent years more and more I’ve gone more towards admin work vs. that of using Photoshop, Illustrator or any other Adobe product to create, I do miss it, but I’ve had less and fewer folks asking for Wedding Invitations, Photo Restorations, general edits/repairs, and I’ve too not been doing anything too artsy/design wise, but I love it, and I have kept my subscription alive.

For a while, it was $49.99. However this year it went up to $52.99 – that in itself isn’t a huge deal … $3, skip a Tea @ Starbucks – the software continues. However in these days budget keeping is key, and I’ve been trying to cut costs and improve profits, really starting to focus on retirement, investments, kiddo’s education etc. – even next year’s vacation or as I call it “Road Trip of Crazy!” to whatever State Capital we choose next! So $635.88 a year is a lot of money.

Enter Affinity Photo (Photoshop Replacement) & Affinity Designer (Illustrator Replacement).  Amazing pieces of software and I actually already own the Photo on the iPad, really powerful on the go, but it’s an interesting idea to swap, and be paid up and done, even to run it cross-platform while I’d love to just “Own it” and use it on what OS I’d like, the total cost for the software is: $159.96 across Windows+Mac (and if I want to get the new Designer on iPad + $13.99 = $173.95) and I’m owned.

Now you may be asking why Windows and Mac? Well as it stands I’ve gone Dual Platform. I picked up a laptop deal I mentioned previously from OfficeMax, after taking a 120GB SSD I had in an old laptop I’m selling soon (Yard sale!) I cloned it and brought it to life in a carefully day one dissected laptop which now does some amazing performance – but will later likely get a M2 as a primary cloned in + a larger secondary SSD – but again for now it works. Baby steps.

The idea is I simply don’t trust Apple. A faulty battery shouldn’t cost me an arm and a leg to have them fix, nor should it require using extreme measures to remove and replace myself. Seriously Apple if you come across this – USER REPLACEABLE PARTS, you can’t have that much of profit center in replacement parts – but that again is why I don’t want to run out and drop $1000+ for a new MacBook at this point.

Maybe down the line, but for now, I have Windows 10 + Linux Subsystem which hits my VPN and is now my mobile daily driver, sure I miss the Retina display, but I like that I’m not broke for the next couple months as well its summer and customers don’t pay till August. LOL

So I’ve tried out the apps, and may get them in stages from Serif, however they are running a special across all platforms due to the launch of Designer on iPad, and it’s a decent saving, versus the $200+ I’d be paying then, so budget allowing this month (it’s tight as I’m waiting for projects to close) but hey could be a nice change.

For now I’ve not hit cancel just yet with Adobe, but feeling like its the right plan. Canceling a lot of things lately, Spectrum is next on the list to ensure they’ve canceled my phone as I’ve switched to a $8/m service and cancel cable as I simply don’t watch it. Sure sure, Doctor Who season later this year, but I’d just as soon buy it on Amazon. Going to get some good savings rolling here soon!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.